The Best But how do you choose the very best nutritional supplements or even know what's in them? Our focus is on quality, purity, potency. Shouldn't that be your focus, too? Our quality control standards actually exceed FDA mandates. We source only the best raw materials for our nutritional supplements. Our products always give you the most nutritional potency for your dollar. We develop science-based supplements you simply won't find anywhere else.
Supports Optimal Mitochondrial Biogenesis and Function
- Dietary Supplement
Back in year 2001, we at Life Extension faced a dilemma. Potent nutrients had been discovered to counteract undesirable age-related changes. Yet the cost of the individual ingredients was too high. So we combined these nutrients into one formula so consumers could obtain them at an affordable price.
Over the years, the published data about the amino acid taurine has grown enormously. In addition to protecting cardiac function, taurine has demonstrated powerful brain-boosting effects that include enhancing neurites and promoting new brain cell formation.
These new findings indicate that taurine is more important to supplement with than acetyl-l-carnitine arginate. In addition, taurine costs much less than acetyl-l-carnitine arginate.
Known as "cellular dynamos," healthy mitochondria produce the energy that powers cells. As people age, however, mitochondria both lose function and decrease in number. Life Extension's unique Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ® was formulated to enhance mitochondrial function, protect delicate cellular structures, power-charge metabolic processes, and aid in the creation of new mitochondria.
Benefits at a Glance:
- Supports healthy mitochondrial function and cellular energy output
- Helps generate new mitochondria
- Protects cellular structures against glycation reactions and free radicals
- Inhibits inflammatory factors
- Aids in cellular metabolism of glucose
Comprehensive Mitochondrial Support
As the importance of mitochondria for healthy cells comes into focus, researchers have identified a number of compounds that can help mitochondria function more efficiently and even help generate new mitochondria. These compounds have been combined into the innovative, multi-ingredient formula, Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ®.
The following unique ingredients in Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ® have all been shown to benefit mitochondria:
- PQQ. This novel micronutrient represents a breakthrough in mitochondrial support. PQQ has been shown to actually trigger the creation of new mitochondria1 and protect the delicate structures of existing mitochondria.2-6
- Carnosine. Carnosine has been shown to protect cellular structures against advanced glycation end-products (AGEs). These damaging compounds are formed when proteins or lipids are cross-linked with sugars in a process known as glycation. Glycation is linked to a host of negative age-related events in the neurologic, vascular, renal and ocular areas.7-17 Carnosine is a powerful anti-glycating agent, and protects neurons against reactive and cytotoxic protein carbonyl species associated with normal aging.18-24
- Luteolin. Luteolin is a plant-derived flavonoid that has been shown to inhibit inflammatory factors, which have been linked to virtually every undesirable consequence of aging. Luteolin works by suppressing pro-inflammatory cytokines, including interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha.25-34
- Benfotiamine. Benfotiamine operates along multiple pathways to protect cellular integrity. It has been shown in studies to protect cells against the damaging effects of excess glucose by increasing glucose metabolism and protecting against the formation of AGEs.35-43 Studies have shown that the ideal fasting glucose levels are between 70–85 mg/dL. Many aging people, however, have fasting glucose levels above 90 mg/dL. Benfotiamine can activate glucose metabolism and promote already healthy blood glucose levels already within normal range. Additionally, benfotiamine has been shown to act as an antioxidant that supports healthy DNA function.44
- Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate. This active form of vitamin B6 has been shown to protect against glycation reactions caused by both lipids and proteins.45-49
- R-lipoic acid. R-lipoic acid protects mitochondria against free radicals while promoting youthful mitochondrial function. The R-lipoic form is more potent than the other form of lipoic acid on the supplement market.50-57
- Taurine. This amino acid supports neurite growth58 and powerfully protects the mitochondria59 from oxidative damage to enhance energy production within cells.58,60,61 Taurine is prevalent throughout the body62 and found in especially high amounts in the metabolically active cells that require high mitochondrial energy production (brain,62 nerve, eye cells,63 heart,64 and skeletal muscle65).
Purchasing each of these potent ingredients individually would be prohibitively expensive. But Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ® combines them into one cost-effective formulation that helps support healthy mitochondria.