In 1966, Dick Phelps founded Superior Brands. Over the next 23 years, Superior introduced new and innovative products, in both pet treats and pet foods, competing effectively as a niche player against some of the largest brands in the business in a highly competitive category.
Phelps, a hands-on entrepreneur and owner, led a team of seasoned Fortune 500 marketing and sales executives to create an enviable model business willing to take on any competitor. The results were exemplary:
- Superior carved out a 10% share of the $500 million dog treats category. Superior's "Chew-eez!", the first rawhide dog treat, became the #3 brand of dog treats nationally.
- Superior's "Wagtime!" was the first beef coated dog biscuit.
- Superior's "Bone-Anza!" was the first dog bone to be sold in the pet food section of leading supermarkets.
- And, Superior's "Kleen Kitty!" became the #1 selling cat litter in the Northeast U.S.
At Phelps Industries we remain committed to our founding philosophies that have guided us for more than three decades:
- "Phelps Industries is dedicated to delivering only the highest quality products with real consumer value. Throughout the 'first generation', we've been sensitive to the needs of our customers...We fully intend to continue that tradition. "
- The very same successful sales and marketing team that built Superior into a $70 million dollar company is now in its "second generation" under the continued guidance of Dick Phelps, but with a new banner, Phelps Industries, LLP.
Today, Phelps Industries continues its long-standing tradition of acquiring, developing and marketing innovative products for both pets and the home. Products of only the highest quality that satisfy real consumer needs.
Phelps has formed important alliances with other entrepreneurial inventors, scientists and technicians throughout the world which continue to explore and develop new products for the new generation of consumer.
The Second Generation
The second generation expands Phelps Industries' competitive arena beyond dog treats to the titans of the household products category. The competitive challenge will be met in the very same way by fielding a wide range of specialty consumer products- kitchen problem solvers - each with its own unique formula and niche: each solving a specific and significant consumer problem.
For more than 34 years, Dick Phelps' entrepreneurial spirit and vision have been the driving force behind successes and innovations in dog treats and now household products.
In 1990, Dick Phelps chose Vincent P. Foley, Jr., a 25-year sales and marketing veteran, to lead the second generation as President. Foley served as VP Sales for Superior Brands and was part of a team that led Superior to its enviable national position in the pet foods category.
At Phelps Industries, we are justly proud of our accomplishments and of our loyal customers over the years who have contributed to our successes by recognizing the value that each of our products bring to the daily lives of their families.
The second generation continues at Phelps Industries as we look to 2001 and beyond and continually seek to develop and introduce products for the next generation of consumers.
Jerky Sticks, Beef Flavor
Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g)